Tax Relief

There are two exemptions that are given in the assessor’s office. One is the Veteran’s Exemption on real property or vehicle license plates, for those veterans and veterans’ widows that qualify under the state statutes.

The other is an acreage exemption for land owners with liquid or hard minerals that qualify under the Department of Revenue rules and regulations.

Below is a summary of the requirements for each exemption, as well as State Statutes and Department of Revenue rules. You may also call our office for more information.

Veteran's Exemption

Some basic requirements and facts about Wyoming's Veteran's Exemption:

  • You must currently be a resident of Wyoming and have been for the past three years.
  • You must have been an honorably discharged veteran meeting the statute’s required dates and/or medals received.
  • If you are a widow and your spouse had been an honorably discharged veteran meeting the requirements laid out in statute you can receive the benefit the rest of your life as long as you remain unmarried.
  • You must provide us with a copy of your, or your spouse’s, DD214 (discharge papers).
  • If you meet all the requirements come into our office and we will review your documents to proceed in signing you up for the benefit.
  • There is no cap on benefits unless you are a widow, in which case it never runs out unless you remarry.
  • You receive a yearly deduction of $3,000 assessed value from your vehicle or real estate. This comes out to be no more than $90 on vehicle licensing and depending on the tax district your real estate falls in you could get up to $175 - $200 discount on your property taxes.
  • You must sign the card each time you use it for license plates.
  • You must give us some kind of communication to sign the card for the real estate exemption every year. You may come into our office, call us, or mail a letter. You must do this after January 1 of the current year and before the fourth Monday in May.
  • Any honorably discharged veteran with a compensable service connected disability certified by the veterans administration or a branch of the Armed Forces of the United States. We need a copy of the disability papers showing percentage of disability.
  • Refer to Wyoming Statute 39-13-105 for further information

Mineral Exemption

Some of the basic requirements and facts about Wyoming's Mineral Exemption are:

  • As of the 2005 tax year, mineral exemptions must be filed every year.
  • The exemption form is due between January 1 and March 1 of the current tax year.
  • You may return the form we send to you by mail or by e-mail.
  • All of the information must be filled in to the best of your knowledge in order to get the exemption.
  • For oil and gas, you can only report those that were producing as of January 1 of the current tax year.
  • For coal and other hard minerals you can report all land that produced over the prior year.
  • Per state law, you only qualify for one exemption on each 40 acres regardless of the number of wells. (i.e. if you have 2 wells in one 40 acre section, only 40 acres will qualify).
  • Mineral production must be on your deeded surface ownership.
  • You must report all wells every year, not just the new ones for that year, and remove any wells that were not producing on January 1.
  • It is not necessary to own the minerals being produced, just the land they are sitting on.
  • Refer to Wyoming Department of Revenue Chapter 9 Property Tax Valuation Methodology & Assessment